Monday, 9 May 2016

MEST1 Learner Response

Feedback
1) Don't talk about editing
Extend further on Las Vegas & other brands.
Describe characters in the clip
Expand on uses & grats escapism for males.

2) I think I did attain my target grade. However, I would need 6 marks more to get an A, at the least.

3) I used 3 points for question 1, 3 for question 2, 2 for question 3 & 2 for question 4

4) My strongest question was question 4 because I referred to a variety of different aspects associated with the use of gun violence, from within the clip.

5) My worst answer was question 2 because I usually don't do well in institution questions. Specifically in this clip as I am not familiar with many of the brands and didn't remember to write about brand values.

6) Rewrite your answer for your weakest question in Section A. This should now be a detailed, three-paragraph 12-mark response.

From the beginning of the clip, audiences are made aware that the trailer is set in Las Vegas due to the initial establishing shot which highlights the famous Las Vegas logo. This therefore enables 'Call of Duty: Ghosts' to be associated with Las Vegas. As a result, those that are familiar with Las Vegas may be intrigued to play the game as it is set in a familiar place that they are fond of. Las Vegas is particularly known for its association with casinos therefore the 'Call of Duty' brand also associates itself with betting. It is also known as a place where people get drunk and partake in outrageous activities which wouldn't normally be done. Therefore, people who are fond of Las Vegas as an area would be inclined to buy and play the game. The use of presenting Las Vegas as one of the settings, locations or destinations of the game allow for the brand value of 'Glamourous places' to be presented within the game as those who admire Las Vegas may be attracted to the place and therefore might want to play a game set there.

The use of Las Vegas could also be applied to the brand value of 'art, culture and history' as it contains a lot of cultural differences and norms to other western societies. This therefore links the Las Vegas lifestyle to the game itself and may promote the game to this type of audience.

The 'Call of Duty' brand is quite popularised by male audiences who are fond of video games in general. Since this clip is like a real-life adaptation of the game itself, it encourages viewers and existing fans to want to indulge in the game itself. It consists of action and/or adventure genre content which therefore relates the game and it's brand to this form of genre. 

Certain brand values that Activision have adhered to are beautiful women which appeal to both women and men as they both admire beautiful women. This is evident in that Megan Fox has been used who is often praised for her looks and sexuality in Hollywood. She is a Holywood actress who already has existing fans therefore this could promote the game towards a wider audience. Those who may not have already been keen to indulge in playing Call of Duty in the past, may be more intrigued and interested due to the use of star appeal.

Existing fans of Gravity would notice the references of the film within this clip. Therefore, it links that production brand of Gravity to the brand of Call of Duty and Activision. This expands the fan-base to a wider audience of people and encourages Gravity fans to play the game as well.

The use of Frank Sinatra's music being the theme tune in the background could also be another celebrity appeal which would be effective in gaining attention from an alternative audience such as older generations who are familiar with his music

7) I wrote about all three platforms across all three films.

8) I did use the key words from the question, in each answer.

9)

Section A
I referred to editing confusing the issue of camerawork as they are both included in Cinematography.
I didn't relate question 2 to the target audience much at all and didn't refer to a variety of brands.
In question 3, I could've referred more to evidence within the trailer.
In question 4, I struggled to talk more about representation than audience theory.

Section B - I think my answer related to the stronger examples.

10) Finally, identify three things you will do differently in the real exam in two weeks. These can refer to preparation, notetaking, Section A or Section B - it is up to you.
I will ensure that I've remembered all brand values and try to apply it to the clip
I will do more efficient note-taking.
I will revise my case study analytics properly.